We eat a lot of eggs in this house. (Hence the small flock of chickens in our backyard. :)
While I'm not one to tire of my usual spinach omelette for lunch, to keep things a little more exciting, every once in a while I change things up a bit and make this quiche instead.
Now most of the quiche recipes I've found call for either 'made from scratch crusts' that can be difficult or time consuming to make or 'pre-made store bought crusts' that are unhealthy and expensive.
Well, this one is so easy to make it doesn't even need to be rolled out! Just press it directly into the
pie plate.
pie plate.
I pack as much spinach into this quiche as possible. Such an easy way to get more vegetables into my family.
The best part about quiche is that it can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It also stores well in the freezer or refrigerator so I often make it in advance and simply reheat it before serving.
My older son insists that it is really called Quiche Pizza. I don't argue with him and I even allow him to eat it with his hands like pizza because I'm just happy he loves it that much.
{Spinach & Cheddar Quiche with Whole Wheat Crust}
for the crust:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. cold water
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Mix flour and salt together with a fork in a small bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together oil and water. Add flour mixture to oil mixture and use a fork to combine. Gently press dough into pie plate, folding and fluting any excess over the sides. Set aside.
for the filling:
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 T. whole wheat flour
10 oz. baby spinach, chopped
1 c. milk
5 eggs, beaten
1/2 t. salt
pepper to taste
Toss cheese with flour. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared crust. Bake 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
{enjoy!}
I recently discovered that my whole family loves quiche! It's a fun way to get them to eat vegetables, and I love how versatile and easy it is! Pretty sure it's going on the menu this week. ;)
ReplyDeleteThis sounds so delish - and I love how healthy it is!! This one is going in the books. That crust is genius.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing dear Friend! xoxo