Simple but fun. Busy but calm.
We jam-packed as much into the day as we possibly could and yet, still had ample time to sit back and actually enjoy this beautiful holiday.
My alarm went off at 5:15 in the morning. It was well below freezing outside as I stood in my warm and cozy kitchen packing cups of trail mix, bottles of water, and bananas. I had already set everyone's (except my husband :) clothes out on the hutch the night before so when my oldest joined me at 5:30 I immediately sent him off to dress for his very first race.
Upon being reminded of the morning's events, his face beamed!
Bright and early the five of us were off to run the local Thanksgiving Day Family 5k.
I'm an avid (though slow) runner so I love a good race every once in a while, especially when strollers are welcome, my husband is willing, and the prospect of extra room in my tummy for that delicious Thanksgiving Feast is my motivation!
My sister met us there so the time spent actually running flew by as the three of us chatted (again, slow runners here) and the boys enjoyed their Thanksgiving theme trail mix complete with white chocolate chips!
Once the 5k was complete the Kids' 100 Yard Dash began. Our little runner was kind of confused at first but he crossed the finish line and earned himself a ribbon so we were proud. Of course our middle guy wanted in on the action so he joined the race about halfway through with a half-eaten snack cup in his hands and a gigantic grin fixed onto his face as he made his way down the track.
Images etched on my mind and in my heart for the rest of my life.
We then made our way to our little home where a televised parade and a breakfast of champions awaited us.
There's nothing like cinnamon buns, bacon and marshmallows to refuel after a race! ;)
While the boys devoured their festive treats, the adults enjoyed Sweet Potato Biscuits with Cinnamon Sugar Butter, Bacon, coffee and tea.
After breakfast the boys watched The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City which quite conviently ended just in time for naps.
Once all three boys were sleeping my sister and I set to work in the kitchen. Having grown up in a house full of girls where Thanksgiving morning was always spent fighting over counter space in the kitchen and chit-chatting to our heart's delight, I've missed that female companionship since getting married so it was such a treat to spend the day with my sister again.
Not to mention a huge help!
A lesson was definitely learned this year: make it a priority to GET THAT TURKEY IN THE OVEN!
Our guests for the day included my dad, my Aunt, my Uncle, and my cousin.
Since the turkey was not cooked at four as I had hoped, all the men and boys headed to the backyard to enjoy the sunny, warm weather.Luckily thirty minutes later my husband was carving the turkey so we all sat down at the table to say Grace by half-passed four.
Our feast included Turkey, Stuffing, Corn Bread Pudding, Cranberry-Orange Relish, Mashed Turnips, Sweet Potato Casserole & Roasted Asparagus, Mushrooms, Brussel Sprouts & Kale.
As our full bellies digested the meal we played a highly competitive game of Thanksgiving Pictionary before tackling the dishes.
By the time the kitchen was back in order, we all returned to the table for dessert.
On each of our plates my Aunt had placed a popper that revealed a small prize, a charade and a joke. After we each took a turn provoking a few eye-rolling giggles, we were ready to dig in: Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie and Carrot Cake.
And just in case we weren't full enough, as soon as the dessert plates were cleared my husband headed out back to start the bonfire for S'mores.
Once the boys were asleep in their beds and the kitchen was clean, my sister, husband, and I sat on the couch and hung out. I took this opportunity to write an entry in the Thanksgiving Journal that we started this year. I thoroughly enjoyed reading each of our guests entries and was glad that this new tradition got me to constructively reflect upon write down the many blessings God has bestowed upon me this past year.
We started a lot of new traditions this year that I hope will continue so that my children grow up associating festivities such as Family 5k's, bonfies, Thankful Journals, silly games, and parades with all the other traditions that go along with this holiday.
I know I will!
Wow!
ReplyDeleteWhat an exciting, festive, family day!
You are certainly making memories for your babies, my friend.
And I love how you love a clean kitchen.
Because I do too! : )
Sounds like a perfect day! We feasted on cinnamon rolls & watched the parade on Thanksgiving morning as well. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful idea - to have a thankful journal to record each year. What a treasure that will be through the years!! Sounds like one of those perfect holidays (minus maybe waiting on a turkey) - and I SHOULD run a 5k before the Thanksgiving meal. Lol! Food for thought. ;)
ReplyDeleteWell hopefully more to be thankful for my dear Friend - as you have won my giveaway!!! Yay!! So I will need your address so I can ship your goodies soon. Email me when you get a chance.
Thanks for being such a wonderful friend anda blessing in these blogland adventures. I'm thankful for you! ;) xoxo