Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Cookies

Dec. 24: Christmas Cookies

My mom was known for her Christmas Cookies. (I even wrote an entire post about them last Christmas.) Just like her own mother, every Christmas she baked dozens and dozens of cookies to arrange beautifully on a festive plate, secure with a pretty ribbon and distribute to her neighbors, family, and friends (who looked forward to them each year).

Now that my mom celebrates Christmas in heaven, baking my her traditional Christmas cookies has become more than just a fun tradition for me - it is one of the many ways that I keep her close to my heart during this very special season.

If she were alive, I know she would be here, in my kitchen, baking right alongside my boys and me (and making the process a lot more fun than this control-freak mom does ;). Since she isn't, the ritual of baking "Grandma's Cookies" has at the very least allowed me to create happy Christmas memories for them to associate with their "Grandma in heaven with Jesus."

It has become a tradition for our little family to deliver Christmas Cookies to neighbors and nearby friends on Christmas Eve each year. As soon as everyone is up from naps, we load the boys into the stroller and the cookies into the wagon and head out on our merry way.

I would love to be able to say that the whole process of baking cookies with three young children is completely magical, nostalgic and joyful but, the truth is, it's not! ;) Every year I stress over whether or not its worth the time and energy it takes. But as soon as we hand the neighbor that first plate of cookies, I am reminded of why I love this tradition so much... It brings me so much joy! :)

My selection was a bit smaller than years past but I used the fact that I have an extra child this year as an excuse! Besides, not a single neighbor seemed to notice - they were all just happy that we even baked at all since, apparently, they look forward to them each year on the 24th of December.

This year's plates included:

Cream Cheese Cookies
Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
Peanut Butter Blossoms
Chocolate Butterscotch Chip Cookies
Cranberry Pistachio Almond Bark
Almond Frosted Sugar Cookies

And now, my boys and I get to enjoy the leftovers! :)

5 comments:

  1. Such a great tradition and the cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky neighbors!! Every year I wait impatiently for my grandma's Italian cookies to arrive. I need to start baking some of our favorites myself, so hopefully I can perfect them to carry on the tradition someday. :) Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious! Your mom would be so proud :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so delicious - and pretty!! I know your Mom was smiling down on you all, working away in your sweet kitchen. Such precious memories you're making with your Boys, but also what a gift your Mom left in legacy to you All. I grew up with "food is love" from both my Grandmas and now I see myself passing that along with my kiddos too. Food is magical that way, isn't it?

    So whether it's done perfectly or not, it's still done - and it's done with such love. That means everything.

    Wishing you and your beautiful family every wonderful blessing for 2016 my dear Laura!! I feel so blessed for our friendship and blogland time together. ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete