I simply couldn't let Christmas come and go without sharing something about my mom. And since I've been busying myself in the kitchen with lots of sugar and flour these past few days, I decided to share a memory of my mom that has situated itself on the forefront of my mind lately.
My mom raised three spoiled girls. For my sisters and me, Christmas just isn't Christmas without my mom's delicious assortment of Christmas cookies. (And I could probably name a neighbor or two who feel the same way.)
So beloved were my mom's cookies that she even made a plate for each of the eighteen tables at our wedding. (I am so thankful our wedding photographer captured a picture of them.)
Last year was our first Christmas without my mom and, among many other things, her cookies were sorely missed. Although I have been baking my own Christmas assortment for the past three years, I am the first to admit that my cookies do not even come close to comparing with my mom's.
But practice makes perfect so each year I plan to make an attempt at replicating at least one of her traditional cookies.
My mom's typical plate of Christmas Cookie included:
Cream Cheese Cookies
Linzer Tarts
Russian Tea Balls
Cocoa Crinkles
California Tarts
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Peanut Butter Cups
Tri-Color Cookies
Magic Cookie Bars
Chocolate Chip Cookies
...and most likely a few others that I can't think of right now!
I think what so many of us love about the Christmas season is all the warm traditions and happy memories associated with this time of the year. As much as I miss my mom, I feel blest to be able to pass the warm traditions she taught me onto my children and, in turn, create happy memories for them.
Hope you have a very Blessed Christmas!
note: My mom died in October of 2013 at the age of 55 after a two year battle with breast cancer.
No comments:
Post a Comment