One of my favorite charitable organizations to participate in during the Christmas season is Operation Christmas Child.
This week is Collection Week so we headed to Target first thing this morning to find some treasures to fill our shoe boxes with. After building it up and talking about it with my boys for a couple weeks now, I was honestly just as excited as they were to shop!
We filled two boxes this year: one "Girl" box and one "Boy" box, both for ages 2-4. I find that having my three year old pick out gifts for a child of the same age as him is a great opportunity for him to learn and practice the virtue of charity.
Once all of our shopping was completed and we returned home, we made cards to enclose in each box. Then it was time for the very best part of all: figuring out the best way to fit all those goodies inside!
After we were all finished, I showed the boys the video on the Samaritan's Purse website of the kids receiving their boxes in previous years. I didn't make it through fifteen seconds before the tears began to fall!
I remember, growing up, how much I looked forward to getting to pick a child's name off the Giving Tree at church every Advent. My mom would always make a point to mention those children in the midst of all the craziness of Christmas morning. She would have us picture how excited they must be to open the gifts we gave them and help us to realize that those gifts may be the only ones they would receive that year.
Hopefully this activity will instill the same thoughtfulness, generosity, and charity in my boys.
My local mom's group adopts a few families in our area at Christmas time, so each of us can pitch in. I love taking my kids along when we shop for our items, so hopefully they can learn about being generous and caring for others who are less fortunate than us. How good of your mom to make a point to talk about your recipients on Christmas morning–hopefully I can remember to do the same!
ReplyDelete