Last year we attended at a Fall Festival at a little park across the street from our parish. The event had just begun when we walked out of 10:30 mass so we figured we'd check it out. It was small, intimate, and even a little quirky.
There was a local band playing in the center gazebo. There were a couple of craft booths selling handmade goods. There were a few food vendors selling ice cream, kettle corn, and hot Italian sandwiches. There was even a trailer with ponies giving out horse-drawn carriage rides. It was picturesque. Not to mention, I felt like I was walking around in a Gilmore Girls episode.
And there was an Apple Pie Contest! After listening as they announced the first, second and third place winners and purchasing a slice to try for ourselves, I decided that next year I would enter.
Way back then, ;) I had only ever made two pies from scratch before so I certainly needed some practice.
Since I come from a family of pie lovers and my mom, who passed away nearly two years ago, and her mom, who is very sick at the moment, have always been the designated pie bakers, I have taken it upon myself to perfect my skills in their footsteps.
While chopping apples, rolling crust, sprinkling cinnamon, cutting shapes, and coloring with sugar, I thought of my beautiful mom and it brought a smile to my face because I knew she would be so proud.
Especially because my pie won second place! (Out of only about ten other pies competing, mind you, but still! ;) I won a $25 Visa Gift Card and the honor of knowing that a complete stranger actually liked my baking and the pleasure of knowing that another complete stranger even asked for my recipe. It felt great!
This recipe makes two pie crusts because I don't know how to halve it. I either freeze the second crust to use another day or use it to make a double crust pie.
I like to bake my pies one day in advance so that the filling has time to thicken in the refrigerator overnight. I serve it warm and topped with vanilla ice cream.

I like to bake my pies one day in advance so that the filling has time to thicken in the refrigerator overnight. I serve it warm and topped with vanilla ice cream.
{Apple Pecan Crumble Pie}
Pecan Pastry Crust:
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. toasted pecans, ground
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 c. butter, cut up
1/3 c. ice water
Apple Filling:
6 c. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 T. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. turbinado sugar
1/4 t. sea salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
Pecan Crumble:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. turbinado sugar
1 c. flour
1/4 t. sea salt
2 T. milk
3 T. cinnamon sugar
1/4 c. toasted pecans, chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, pecans and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 T. water over part of flour mixture. Toss with fork. Push moistened portion to side of bowl. Repeat 1 T. at a time until flour mixture is completely moistened. Gather into a ball, knead gently until it holds together. Divide in half. For halves into balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one ball of dough into a circle, 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to 9 inch pie plate. Repeat with second ball of dough. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine flour, sugars, salt and spices. Add apples and gently toss until coated. Let stand. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugars and salt. Add butter and use a fork to combine until crumbles form. Set aside. Transfer filling to prepared pie crust. Top filling with crumbles. Brush crumbles with milk. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 60 minutes. Sprinkle pecans over pie. Bake 5 - 10 minutes or until bubbling.

This pie sounds like a little bit of Fall heaven Laura!! And I love the touch with the pretty red apple in the middle. Congrats on getting 2nd place Sweetie! That's so awesome!!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Your pie looks amazing...thank you for sharing your recipe. Congratulations on your win!!
ReplyDeleteI love how this turned out, and sounds like you have many great memories to go with your baking. Have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Jill
You pie looks so beautiful, and sounds delicious. Congratulations on second place! Happy Monday. <3
ReplyDeleteThat looks fabulous! If it tasted half as good as it looked, it must have been delicious, Laura! :-)
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful pie, Laura! and such beautiful footsteps to follow! This post is lovely in so many ways and YAY for winning 2nd place! The pie really looks amazing! Hope to try it!
ReplyDelete