With the warmer weather upon us, granola has now become the perfect alternative to our usual morning oatmeal around here.
And, just in time for summer, I decided to tweak my favorite recipe a little to suit the season. Shredded coconut, coconut oil and coconut extract give this granola just the right amount of flavor and aroma to put me in a beachy mood.
Since ninety percent of the preparation process involves pouring and stirring, granola is one of my favorite recipes to make with my boys. They love seeing all the ingredients that go into it, watching it bake in the oven, and, of course, taste-testing when it's finished.
I usually have a fresh batch of granola in the house at all times because there are so many different ways that my family enjoys it. I like it best sprinkled over yogurt and topped with fresh berries. The boys eat it like cereal with milk poured over. And my husband just snacks on it by the handful.
Granola freezes well so I always make a double batch and store half of it in the freezer to keep it fresh.
Packaged in a mason jar with a ribbon around the lid and the recipe attached, it also makes a great gift for family, friends, new neighbors, etc.
Packaged in a mason jar with a ribbon around the lid and the recipe attached, it also makes a great gift for family, friends, new neighbors, etc.
{Coconut & Flaxseed Granola}
4 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 c. slivered almonds
1 1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. flaxseeds
1/2 c. raw sunflower seeds
1/2 c. brown sugar (optional)
1/2 c. brown sugar (optional)
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/4 c. honey
1/4 t. coconut extract
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine dry ingredients. Stir coconut oil and honey together and heat until coconut oil is liquid form. Add coconut extract. Pour over dry ingredients. Mix very well, using your hands. Let sit for at least fifteen minutes. Spread onto two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 28 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before storing.
Thanks or sharing! I just recently started making granola and I love coconut!
ReplyDeleteI am definitely stealing this recipe!! My daughter and I both love cocount, my boys not quite as much but that's ok. I'm really thinking I want to start making some regularly too and have it around for my Crew. Thanks for the wonderful recipe and inspiration!!!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Saving this for later!!
ReplyDelete