I am one of three girls. All the cousins that I grew up with are girls. All the friends that I grew up with (with one exception) are girls.
Like the March sisters in Little Women, boys were foreign to me. (We didn't even have a 'Teddy' for a neighbor! Our neighbors were two more girls!)
So, while I always hoped to have a large family with a few boys in the mix, I never pictured myself having all boys.
But I wouldn't have it any other way.
(Of course, I'm still holding out hope that eventually God will bless me with a daughter but, for now I wouldn't trade my three boys for anything!)
The toy box in our living room is overflowing with tractors, fire trucks, and dump trucks. The toy bins in our front closet contain army guys, legos, and train tracks. At least every fifteen minutes someone is holding up the latest insect they've dug up.
We read about dinosaurs, insects, and construction vehicles before bed. We take two baths a day during the warmer temperatures because it is a rare occasion for us to come in from outside without being literally covered in dirt.
Now, I'm sure many little girls play with fire trucks and get dirty but I was not one of those girls. My sisters and I were (and still are) as girly as they come.
Since we always keep baby's gender a surprise, most people, based on the fact that I already had two boys, assumed I was hoping for a girl.
I can honestly say that I had no preference either way.
My little boys have taught me so much. I never knew how sweet little boys can be. I never imagined that my little boys would love their baby brother so much that they would want to nickname him 'So Cutie'. I never imagined my little boys wanting to have afternoon tea parties with me. I never knew how much little boys love to cuddle.I never knew how special the bond is between a mother and her son. And I never knew how humbling it is to realize that God has entrusted me with the role of raising these boys to be men who will serve Him first and foremost.
As special as it would be to have a daughter, I absolutely love being the mother to all boys and I'm not quite ready to give up my place as 'Only Girl of the House' just yet. ;)
afternoon tea parties? I love it!!
ReplyDeleteSuch Mommy love shines out from this post Laura! So happy for you and all of your blessings sweet friend. There is something so special I think about a Mom and her son(s). And nothing wrong with being the princess of the family,right? Or at least for now as you say. Lol
ReplyDeletexoxo
Lovely, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSimply lovely.
Your love of your family shines right through. : )
Sweet post! I was the opposite: grew up with two brothers, tons of uncles & the only cousins that lived by were boys. So, it's been quite a change for me...and fun. ;)
ReplyDelete