I have been very blest so far in that I did not encounter any major issues when it came to breast feeding either of my two sons. They are both really good eaters and have pretty much been that way from the start.
Because they nursed so often and so much, I can remember feeling nutritionally deprived those first couple of weeks when my milk supply was supply was being established. I tend to be a very healthy eater in general but between breast feeding and postpartum recovery, my body really craved nutritionally dense foods to replenish all the calories and vitamins it was expending.
I love a cookie or two to go along with my afternoon tea so in preparation for #3's arrival I decided to make a batch of 'lactation' cookies to freeze. I wasn't crazy about any of the recipes I found so I decided to come up with my own version. Of course, you don't actually have to be lactating to enjoy these cookies. Just call them Oat & Flaxseed Granola Cookies instead. ;)
I realize these are not 100% healthy since they contain a good amount of sugar but, personally, if I'm going to eat a cookie, it needs to taste good! Aside from the sugar, all the other ingredients are highly nutritious. They are loaded with oats and flaxseeds which have both been shown to help increase a breast feeding mom's milk supply.
I realize these are not 100% healthy since they contain a good amount of sugar but, personally, if I'm going to eat a cookie, it needs to taste good! Aside from the sugar, all the other ingredients are highly nutritious. They are loaded with oats and flaxseeds which have both been shown to help increase a breast feeding mom's milk supply.
More than half the flour is oat flour which I make by using the milling blade on my Baby Bullet to grind up old-fashioned rolled oats.
I added dates and walnuts but any dried fruit and nut will taste great and also contribute a wealth of vitamins and nutrients.
The dough turns out a little dry because of all the grains so I add a few tablespoons of water to moisten it up enough to roll out.
I don't own a round cookie cutter so I used the screw top to a small mason jar lid. It ended up being the perfect size since I like my cookies to be big.
My son and I made thirty-two large cookies yesterday. Once they had completely cooled I wrapped them in plastic wrap, put them in a ziploc bag and placed them in the freezer so that they are ready for once the baby is born.
Of course, before I had a chance to tell him what they were for, my husband snatched one off the cooling rack when he got home from work and gobbled it up in two bites. (So now I have thirty-one cookies. ;) Luckily, he said it was really good!
I'm even thinking that a stack of these cookies, wrapped in waxed paper and a ribbon, would make a practical and unique little gift for a new mom.
{Oat & Flaxseed Lactation Cookies}
3/4 c. oat flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. sea salt
1 t. vanilla
1 c. oats
3/4 c. dates, pitted & chopped
2 T. flaxseeds
2 T. roasted sunflower kernels
1/2 c. walnuts, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat coconut oil and brown sugar until creamy. Add oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat until combined. Stir in oats, dates, flaxseeds and sunflower kernels. If dough feels too dry and crumbly to work with, stir in a few tablespoons of water. Roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick onto floured surface. Cut into rounds. Bake 15 - 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
{enjoy!}
{enjoy!}
Great idea little Mama to be! These look really good too.
ReplyDeleteI bet you're turning some heads with the title of this post and name of your cookie. ;) Keep getting lots of rest as it sounds like you've got things well under control to be all set for wee number 3 soon.
Happy weekend ahead! xoxo