Wednesday, June 20, 2012

{recipes} Blueberry Wheat Belgian Waffles

A while back, my mom received two belgian waffles makers for Christmas: one from her mother and one from her mother-in-law. In the end, I lucked out because she recently gave me one of them. ;)

Once the waffle maker was in my possession, I had my mind made up to make waffles for breakfast on Father's Day. The only problem was that all the recipes I could find called for at least one or two ingredients that I didn't have in stock (buttermilk, i.e.) and I really didn't feel like running to the store. 

So, after a little research on google, I invented my own recipe. These waffles are easy to whip up, relatively healthy, and very delicious so I'm happy. :)

{Blueberry Wheat Belgian Waffles}

1 egg, separated
1 c. milk (I used rice milk)
3 T. butter (I used olivio)
1 T. sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white flour
1/2 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
3/4 c. blueberries, rinsed and drained

Heat waffle iron. Beat egg white with a hand mixer on medium speed in a small bowl until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Mix egg yoke, butter, milk, and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt just until blended. Fold in egg white and blueberries. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon batter onto iron and cook as directed. I served ours with homemade blueberry syrup. Makes about three medium waffles. 


{enjoy!}

1 comment:

  1. Mmm waffles!!! Seriously one of my favorite foods!! Might try your recipe tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete