Monday, March 12, 2012

Cream of Millet

I grew up in an oatmeal, Cream of Wheat or Kix for breakfast kind of household. Sugar cereals were strictly reserved for special occasions. (One Christmas Santa even left my sisters and me a box of Captain Crunch with Crunch-berries cereal! We were pretty excited! ;)

I still eat hot cereal for breakfast every morning, even during summer heat waves. As I began to modify my diet to mostly whole grains, I was annoyed when I discovered that Cream of Wheat is actually made with enriched, not whole, wheat. Not only are they healthier but I prefer the heartier taste of whole grains.

Recently my aunt gave me a jar of millet to grind into cereal for my son. I had tried giving him homemade brown rice cereal and he just spit it out so she suggested millet because of its nuttier flavor. He loved it!

I decided to try preparing it for myself, the same way I would have prepared Cream of Wheat since it had the same texture. It was delicious! If you're a Cream of Wheat fan try this! (If you're not a Cream of Wheat fan, don't try this. Case in point, my husband thought it was gross! ;) Millet is more nutritiously dense and has a much heartier, almost earthy, taste. Read about its health benefits here.

I know whole millet is available at Whole Foods but you can probably find it at any local health food store as well. It's best to purchase whole millet pearls and grind them just before preparing your cereal because once ground, it loses many of its nutrients within 24-48 hours.

The following recipe yields one, adult-size serving so I suggest halving it when preparing for baby.

-----


{Cream of Millet}

3 T. millet pearls
1 c. milk (substitute with water for baby)
sweeteners & mix-ins to taste

Grind millet pearls in a food processor until it is the same consistency as flour. I use the milling blade on my Baby Bullet. Heat milk in a small pot over medium heat until just before boiling. Add millet, one tablespoon at time, using a whisk to mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to thicken to desired consistency. Remove from heat. Sweeten and flavor with maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, and/or fresh or dried fruit, if desired.

{enjoy!}

2 comments:

  1. this is the first i've heard of millet. thanks for the introduction! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love millet! I make hot cereal by blending a bunch of whole grains - millet included (here is my blog post about that: http://thriftathome.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-thrifty-is-my-hot-cereal.html).

    I've also successfully added uncooked millet to muffins, much like adding nuts. And I've cooked millet in place of rice for casseroles.

    Your photo makes me want to have hot cereal tomorrow for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete