Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bringing Up Boys


Bringing Up Boys [Book]
A few days after my son was born, my mom ran to Barnes and Nobles and bought my husband and me a few items that she considered essential for brand new parents to have sitting on their coffee table. These included a Good Night Moon Baby's First Year calendar, a copy of What to Expect: The First Year, and a copy of Bringing Up Boys. 

That evening, after noticing that that Bringing Up Boys was written by Dr. James Dobson, my husband immediately picked it up, and began reading it, out loud. From that night on, we read one chapter together every night until the book was completed.

Such an excellent book! If you have a son, I highly recommend it. Growing up with all sisters, my family was kind of like Little Women: other than my dad, boys were pretty foreign to us! (I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not!) Obviously I had my husband's input to guide me but still, I felt a little in the dark about how to raise a son. 

It's an easy read complete with heart-warming, tear-jerking, and laugh inducing stories. At the end of each chapter, there is a very helpful 'Questions & Answers' section. The experience and sound advice that Dr. Dobson offers is vital to Christian parents raising children, particularly boys, in today's society.

Oh, and if you have a daughter, there's no need to feel left out: Dr. Dobson also wrote Bringing Up Girls! 

Have you read either of these books? What did you think?

3 comments:

  1. Never heard of it, but now I want to check it out! I have two boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't read it. but my mom has it and i'm sure i'll borrow it. my favorite parenting book is "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp.

    ReplyDelete