Dec. 9: Christmas Books
In an effort to build our family's library of Christmas stories to cuddle up and read beside the Christmas tree, every year since my oldest was born four years ago I have purchased one classic, hardcover Christmas book for each of my children to receive under the tree on Christmas morning. Of course family and friends have contributed to this collection as well so that by now we have a pretty hefty stack for me to haul up from the basement where they remain for most of the year.
Some of these books are ones I have read most of my childhood whereas some are new to me, discoveries I have made since becoming a mother. As difficult as it was to narrow it down to just five, here, in no particular order, are my five favorite Christmas books for children:
1. Papa Panov's Special Day: Adapted by Leo Tolstoy
The story. The illustrations. Both so beautiful! This Christmas book touched my heart as a young child just as much as it does now that I am an adult. Papa Panov is a poor shoemaker who spends all of Christmas Day waiting for Jesus to visit.
2. The Christmas Cat by Maryann Macdonald
Such a unique and sweet story that I discovered last year. What first drew me to the cover was the gorgeous illustration of the child Jesus. The fact that we had just adopted a kitten furthered my interest. The story of the first Christmas is told, indirectly, while introducing the creative theme that perhaps Jesus had a pet!
3. The Jolly Christmas Postman by Allan & Janet Ahlberg
This one's from my childhood and I still get a little giddy each time I read it. Every other page is an "envelope" containing either a gift, puzzle, card, letter etc., that actually comes out! As a child, it seemed almost magical! I highly recommend both the original and this Christmas version as a unique gift for older children.
4. The Christmas Story by Jane Werner
This book was given to my boys for Christmas by my sister two years ago and I love it! They author tells the story of the very first Christmas in a such a simple and sweet manner that even the littlest children will understand. The illustrations are classic and adorable.
5. Christmas in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
This simplified excerpt from the beloved classic is perfect for children! The illustrations are modern, colorful adaptations of the original artwork by Garth Williams so long time Little House readers will recognize Laura and Mary immediately. I love reading this story to my boys because it gives me the opportunity to show them how simply the Ingalls family celebrated this holiday and yet how joyous and content they were with the little they had.
-----
Linking up with Ashley today:

The Jolly Christmas Postman is one of my favorites from childhood too! I have that Little House book on my wishlist too...I need to get that one next year.
ReplyDelete