Monday, June 15, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday

Fresh Rhubarb for our Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.

{weather outside:}

Cloudy, muggy, and humid with the prospect of severe thunderstorms on the forecast. Typical June day.

{making me happy:}

Our town's pool club opened this week and our entire family is absolutely loving it! Growing up at the beach, pool clubs weren't very big where my husband and I are from so until this year we were hesitant to spend the money and join. Well, after a week I already feel like we've gotten every cent of our money's worth! And I'm pretty sure the boys would agree! ;)

{menu this week:}

monday: Chicken & Penne tossed with Sun-dried Tomatoes & Feta
tuesday: Burritos
wednesday: Leftovers
thursday: Ham, Salami & Provolone Subs, Potato Salad
friday: Roasted Chicken, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans & Crusty Bread

{around my home:}

It was a fussy morning for my littlest but I finally got him into a deep sleep just in time for everyone else to take a nap too! All three boys are still sleeping and I am drinking my tea, as usual, preparing dinner, folding laundry, writing this post... everything that I want to get done while I have the chance! ;)

{today's to-do list:}

~pre-k: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
~2 loads of laundry
~prepare dinner
~make Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie with boys
~vacuum

{looking forward to this week:}

Father's Day preparations! We already gave my husband his big gift because it was time sensitive but now I'm looking forward to fulfilling some of his littler surprises: Cherry Pie, a new travel mug, handmade cards from his boys and, of course, chocolate.

{favorite blog post:}

Summer Bucket Lists are great but I love that Ashley takes it to the next level by making time to institute at least one of those great ideas every single day with her One Fun Thing a Day Plan. (We already copied her Fan Fort!)

{currently reading:}

The Strong-Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson
Rose Harbor in Bloom by Debbie Macomber
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

{lesson learned:}

I am a little bit of a neat freak who always likes to be accomplishing something so one of my biggest struggles as a mom is letting the to-do list go in order to spend time with my children. (Hence, I love cooking with my boys because I get to do both things at once!) Lately, however, I've been trying to be more deliberate about sitting down and playing with them because there will always be something else that needs to get done but they will not always be here, asking me to go hunting in the living room for venison with them.

{on my mind:}

My firstborn will be turning four next month. So cliche but, between being pregnant and having a newborn, I feel like I blinked and all of a sudden my baby went from being a chubby little three-year-old to a tall, lean four-year-old! Sigh.

{verse:}

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
-Philippians 4:13

6 comments:

  1. Happy Monday! And yes...those little sweeties have a way of growing up on us! : )
    You week sounds lovely.
    Enjoy your beautiful family, my friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rhubarb looks wonderful and strawberry rhubarb pie is one of the best kinds EVER, especially with true vanilla bean ice cream. Mmmmm

    How lovely to get a free quiet moment. Those are the best!!
    Still working on Father's Day prep over here too. A work in progress yet....

    I think you're SO right to take those moments and play with the boys - the chores will always be there waiting. Such fleeting and precious time.
    God bless for a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited that you did the fan fort, did your boys love it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest LOVED it! My middle guy (2) was scared of it! ha! (He's one of those tough outer shell but sensitive on the inside types! ;)

      Delete
  4. How do you do it at the pool? Do you only go when you have your husband to help? I know my kids would love it if I took them, but I don't have enough arms to contain them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, strawberry rhubarb pie! My aunt used to make it every year for Easter. I loved it! I haven't had it in years, though. Maybe one of these days I'll try making it myself.

    I love the one fun things a day plan. I'll have to check that out. :)

    ReplyDelete