The roads, sidewalks and parking lots have been so icy this past week or so that I have been trying to avoid leaving the house at all if possible. (The thought of slipping on ice while balancing my squirmy 20-month-old on my 3rd trimester belly makes me just a little nervous! ;)
The #1 activity that never fails to disappoint my boys is 'helping' me in the kitchen. (And I"m sure that has nothing to do with getting to eat the end result, right?)
Since my 3-year-old and I had just finished reading the chapter about Ma, Mary & Laura making butter in Little House in the Big Woods, I thought it would be fun to make some fresh butter of our own. (The modern way of course - no muscles required!)
Both my boys love when I use the stand mixer. They get especially excited when it mixes at a high speed.
Fresh blueberries were on sale this week so I picked up a few pints. We love blueberries in this house so I always stock up on them when they are in season because they make such an easy and healthy snack.
To go along with our fresh butter I decided to make some homemade blueberry jam.
The boys were not quite as impressed by this process as they were with the butter since it's done mostly on the stovetop therefore limiting their involvement for obvious reasons.
They did, however, appreciate the end result:
Have you ever had toast with fresh butter and homemade jam? So delicious!
What have you been doing to keep busy indoors this winter?

LaurA~
ReplyDeleteLoving your bLOG!! and this recipe is amazing...thanks for sharing! i'm def pinning it now for future use!
I'm so happy to "meet" you! Thx for stopping over to my blog yesterday....it seems we link at a few of the same spots too and I hope our paths cross regularly! i'll be a regular reader....God bless and have a great day!
Aw, thanks for linking up. Looks amazingly delish!!! I kind of want some right now.... :-)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds delicious. I may try that this weekend...we love butter around here. Ha! :)
ReplyDeleteThe idea of a homemade butter and blueberry jam is awesome, Laura! They look divine in the pictures you have posted. No wonder your kids love it, as it is pleasing to the eyes and the palate. Glad to stumble upon your blog!
ReplyDeleteFaith Thomas @ TheBerryFarm.com.au