Although we've had a few chilly days here and there, overall our Autumn has been relatively mild - no complaints from me!
A few nights ago after dinner, my husband took the boys outside to play while he did a little work in the garage. Our kitchen window is over the sink and looks out into the back yard (which I love) so I got to enjoy watching them play as I washed the dinner dishes.
This is usually our routine, after dinner, my husband entertains the boys so that I can clean the kitchen. I love being able to get the kitchen in order without any little ones underfoot and the boys love their time with Dad. But for some reason, on this particular night, I had a strong urge in my heart to leave the dishes for later and join my little family. So I did. I threw a pair of sneakers on and headed out back.
Well, boy was I glad I did. Because of the angle, I could not see the bonfire my husband had started in our fire pit from the kitchen window. They had planned on coming in to get me eventually but it worked out even better this way because I got to be surprised.
What is it about a fire that instantly makes you feel all cozy? The warmth? The glow?
The next hour or so consisted of my husband and me relaxing on the grass while roasting marshmallows and watching the boys run around the yard giggling, hands and faces sticky as ever.
So often I try to orchestrate the perfect family evening with the highest of expectations and for some reason it just doesn't work out as I had planned it in my head. Sometimes spur of the moment adventures are the best way to go and luckily for me (always the planner ;) that is my husband's area of expertise.
Now a new family memory has been forever stamped on the innocent minds of our little boys.
Thank you God, for the gift of being a mother, the memory-maker and memory-keeper of my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment