Lately, however, as the weather is becoming warmer, (slowly but surely), I've gotten into a bit of a smoothie kick. It's the perfect lunch for those gorgeous Spring days when you don't want to waste a single minute indoors if you don't have to.
Once I've gathered the energy to tear my son away from the chickens (his constant source of backyard entertainment :), we run inside where I quickly whip up our smoothies, grab two muffins spread with peanut butter, and we're back out in the sunshine within ten minutes, sipping and nibbling away.
If I'm going to drink a 'green' smoothie (and share it with my toddler), it has to contain enough sweetness to hide the spinach taste. Hence, I put a lot more fruit in mine than most recipes call for. Perhaps that's why mine doesn't come out as green? For now, strawberries and pineapples are in season so that's what I've been using but I'm sure in a couple of months I'll be whipping up blueberry and peach flavored smoothies...
I like using greek instead of regular yogurt and also toss some wheat germ in there to increase the protein content.
This recipe makes one large or two small servings. (It's the perfect amount for my little guy and me to share for lunch. :)
-----
{Strawberry Pineapple Green Smoothie}
6 oz. strawberry flavored greek yogurt
1 c. pineapple, cut into chunks
1 c. fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
2 c. fresh baby spinach leaves
1/4 t. vanilla
1 c. ice cubes
2 T. wheat germ
Place all ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour and drink immediately.
{enjoy!}
No comments:
Post a Comment