Wednesday, February 6, 2013

{recipes} Whole Wheat Cranberry Walnut Muffins

Most mornings my husband gets up well before dawn to work out at the gym before work. I wish I could say that I'm the perfect wife who gets up with him every day, but I'm not. ;) Instead, I make his breakfast & lunch the night before so that I can blissfully sleep hours after he's gone.

For this reason I am always on the hunt for breakfast foods that can be packed in advance. Hard boiled eggs are always a good, protein-packed option but I like to pack something to go with them. So far these muffins, smeared with a little peanut butter have been a hit with my husband (and my son as well).

Once they're completely cooled I toss them in a plastic bag and store them in the freezer to keep them fresh. They're delicious with peanut butter, butter, or a little cream cheese to offset the tartness of the cranberries.

--------

{Whole Wheat Cranberry Walnut Muffins}

2 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 baking soda
2 eggs
1 c. milk (I used rice milk)
1/3 c. applesauce
1 c. fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
2 T. wheat germ

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare muffin tins. Mix first five ingredients in a large bowl. Beat eggs in a separate, small bowl. Stir in milk and applesauce. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Add cranberries and walnuts and stir gently until just combined. Spoon batter into muffin cups so that they are 3/4 full. Sprinkle a little wheat germ over the top of each muffin. Bake 15-18 minutes. Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.


{enjoy!}

No comments:

Post a Comment