Tuesday, March 19, 2013

{family} Just Hatched

Back when we were still engaged, my husband and I discussed the prospect of one day, once we owned a house, raising our own chickens.

We both liked the idea of owning a pet that serves a specific purpose. Plus, we go through a lot of eggs in this family so the prospect of fresh, organic eggs always available appealed to us too. (Especially after the major power outages and food shortage in our area following Hurricane Sandy this past fall.) And, finally, for some reason, the idea of sending my kids out each morning to collect eggs from the hen house just really appeals to me! :)

So, this past weekend, we took a drive to a local farm and purchased our very own trio of chicks!


After a lot of research, we decided on Buff Orpingtons because they are known to be extremely friendly, reliable egg layers, and hearty enough to bear the cold winters of the Northeast. After reading the words: "Buff Orpingtons are the Golden Retrievers of the chicken world" on a website I found, I was sold! (Both my husband's family & mine have had Goldens. :)

We were not surprised to find that our animal loving son is pretty much obsessed! We've had them for four days now & he has certainly not lost any interest in petting them, feeding them from his hand, trying to pick them up, and just staring at them.


Right now, their 'brooder' is a portable dog crate. We set up a shop lamp with a red bulb to keep them warm and some wood shavings for bedding. My husband is in the process of building their coop for when they're old (and feathered) enough to move outdoors. 

I found the site City Girl Chickens to be extremely informative & full of great ideas (like using a dog crate as a brooder, for example). 

Now I can't wait to try my first egg!

1 comment:

  1. I want chickens so badly!!! We even have a coop set up but my husband is completely against it. (Something about how he'll get stuck doing all the work)

    ReplyDelete