Wednesday, November 28, 2012

{recipes} Hearty Cranberry Apple Crisp

I snatched a 12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries at my grocery store on Monday (post-Thanksgiving inventory, I guess) only to come home and wonder what to make with them since the last of our turkey leftovers went into a big pot of soup earlier this week.

Well, after my husband and I sadly finished off the final two slices of apple pie last night, I realized I would have just have to make some sort of cobbler or crisp to go with the half eaten gallon of vanilla ice cream that's still sitting in the freezer. Because what's vanilla ice cream without any pie to go with it?

Personally, I often prefer cobblers and crisps to pies because first, they are so much easier to make, second, they are so much healthier, and third, they taste better since, without all that crust, you can actually taste the fruit!

I decided to go a little healthier on this recipe by making a few swaps like whole wheat flour instead of white flour and olive oil based spread instead of butter.

So, tonight we will be feasting on some post-Thanksgiving Hearty Cranberry Apple Crisp, a la Mode.

---------------

{Hearty Cranberry Apple Crisp}

filling:
2 1/2 c. apples, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 c. fresh cranberries, rinsed
1 c. sugar
3 T. whole wheat flour
1 t. vanilla

topping:
1 1/4 c. oats
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. oil based spread such as olivio
1/2 c. pecans, chopped 
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2. t. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a medium to large baking dish with cooking spray. 

Combine apples and cranberries in a medium bowl. Combine sugar, flour, and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir sugar mixture into apple and cranberry mixture, coating the fruit well. Press filling into baking dish. 

Using the same bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, oil based spread, and spices with a fork until small crumbles form. Stir in pecans. Spread topping evenly over filling. 

Bake for 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream. :)



{enjoy!}

No comments:

Post a Comment