Thursday, April 12, 2012

Just a Little Note

When I was in grade school, every once in a while my mom would leave a note in my lunchbox. Until recently, she had no idea how much her thoughtful gesture meant to me.

Now that I make my husband's lunch everyday, I've kind of continued my mom's little tradition. Every few days, I grab a post-it note, write a few sweet words, and stick it to his sandwich bag.

I remember hearing a Focus on the Family broadcast a while back about making sure your husband knows that you're proud of him. The guest speaker said that she once wrote the words, "You're my hero!" on a post-it note and stuck it to the bathroom mirror. While he never said anything to her about it, days later, the note was still there and he had reinforced it with two pieces of scotch tape to ensure that it wouldn't fall down.

After working all day, my husband comes home, eats dinner with me, plays with our baby boy for a little while, and then studies until the wee hours of the night. Seeing how hard he works for our family makes my heart surge with pride.

Last week, after packing up my husband's lunch, I peeled off the cardboard backing from a small notepad, grabbed a few of colorful sharpies and wrote the following:

you make me proud to be your wife. love, me :)

I assumed he would find it cheesy so I wasn't surprised when he didn't mention it that evening. I just figured he had read it, laughed at what a dork I am, and tossed it in the garbage.

Nope. He hung it up in his cubicle for all the world to see! (Well, all his department to see anyway. :) Wow.

Humbling as it is, we wives have a unique ability to either build our husbands up or tear them down. I hope that I never neglect to show mine how much he means to me!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I've been slacking some in this department, so I'm glad for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet idea! I still have a post it on my laptop that says "Hi, I miss you" that my boyfriend left to surprise me the very first time he visited me. It makes me smile every time! Thanks for reminding me to do the same. It's so easy to make someone feel good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love little reminders!!

    i leave notes in the kids lunches...(not the boys anymore....they are 15 and 13 and get embarrassed!
    but i still do for my 11 yr old daughter!!!

    hubs works from home and doesn't go on business trips...but when he does go on job site i will put notes in his truck or coffee cup for him to find...we call them business trip notes! i found them all saved in an envelope one day! :o) made my heart smile!

    ReplyDelete