Thursday, February 25, 2016

Blueberry Banana Bread with Cinnamon Pecan Swirl

Since each of my boys eat at least one per day, bananas are always top on my shopping list when I get to the grocery store. I try to grab several small bunches in various stages of ripeness so that we don't end up with a ton of brown bananas by the end of the week. 


Sometimes that method works, but very often it doesn't... and that is when we make banana bread!


I love making banana bread because it's so quick and easy to put together that it's a great 'hands-on' recipe for the boys to help with. I also love making banana bread because the bananas offer so much natural sweetness that it's a healthy snack for my boys since I don't need to add much artificial sugar.


Of course there are a lot of banana bread recipes out there but what I love about this one is the swirl. That little bit of sugar, cinnamon and pecan lends the rest of the bread a perfect amount of sweetness and moisture.




And the blueberries of course are just the icing on top - to my boys at least.




{Blueberry Banana Bread with Cinnamon Pecan Swirl}

bread:

3 bananas, mashed
1/2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/3 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. honey
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. sea salt
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. oat flour

swirl:

1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking pan. Mix wet ingredients. Stir in dry ingredients. Gently stir in blueberries. Pour half the batter into prepared baking pan. Mix cinnamon, sugar and pecans in a small bowl. Sprinkle half the swirl mixture onto the batter. Repeat with remaining batter and swirl mixture. Cut a small spatula or knife into batter using a circular motion to distribute the swirl mixture into the batter. Bake. 

4 comments:

  1. oh my....now if I could just reach in the computer and...grab a piece. My husband loves banana bread. I will definitely try this version. That little boy hand is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good Laura!! Love the blueberry "grab" photo at the end. ;) I definitely need to try this. Healthier banana bread - yum!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I'm glad I'm running late this week - got to find this yummy bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious! We go through bananas quickly around here as well. My favorite way to use them up (lately, at least) is to make homemade banana mug muffins. :)

    ReplyDelete