Despite the bitter cold and snow of Winter we have had a little taste of Spring in our home this week.
I was as taken as my son by the beautiful, ripe strawberries at our grocery store this week. Once I realized they were on sale, I grabbed three containers, much to both my boys' delight.
Aside from the many more obvious uses for strawberries, my favorite is in our morning oatmeal.
After soaking all night and then simmering for thirty-plus minutes, the strawberries cook to a jam-like texture, sweetening the oatmeal so much so that my boys do not even request their usual drizzle of honey on top.
I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast every single morning for nearly a decade. It is the only food that satisfies my sweet tooth while keeping this early morning exerciser's stomach full for hours.
Naturally, I've started each of my boys on this breakfast classic as they have become old enough for solids.
About a year ago, after reading the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, (highly recommend) I started soaking my oats overnight. Not only does pre-soaking your oats reduce cooking time, but it also makes them easier for your digestive system to break down.
My boys eat their oatmeal with a few fresh strawberry slices stirred in since otherwise they don't believe me when I say it's strawberry oatmeal because they can't actually see the cooked ones.
I eat my oatmeal with a handful of chopped pecans stirred in for some extra protein since I'm pregnant.
-----
{Overnight Strawberry Steel Cut Oatmeal}
3/4 c. steel cut oats
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. water
3-4 medium strawberries, sliced
Combine all ingredients in small bowl or pot. Cover and allow to soak in refrigerator overnight or at least 8 hours. In the morning, uncover, bring to boil in pot. Reduce heat and cook on low until thickened to desired consistency, about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes 3-4 servings.
{enjoy!}
Looks yummy! I'm catching up on your blog and must have missed that you are having another baby? Congrats! That is so exciting :) When are you due?
ReplyDelete