While I was making them, I had the thought that technically theses could be considered somewhat healthy(ish) since they're made with dark chocolate and coconut. So I made a second, 'healthier' batch.
I still used dark chocolate and coconut but I also added some oats, raisins, dried cranberries & raw sunflower seeds to the concoction. Then, instead of jelly beans, I used peanuts for the eggs:
I kind of like their more earthy look!
{Hearty Choclolate Bird's Nests}
dark chocolate chips
coconut and/or oats
mix-in's: dried fruit, chopped nuts, seeds, etc.
peanuts
Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Once melted, scrape into a bowl and stir in coconut and/or oats + mix-in's. Form into small nests and allow to cool slightly on a piece of wax paper. Arrange three peanuts into the nest so that they look like eggs. Allow chocolate to completely set and harden before storing.
{enjoy!}
oh my. if those aren't the cutest things ever! i'm no chef, but i do like to bake every once in a great (great) while. may have to try these.
ReplyDeleteMy kids would love these!! Thanks for sharing! =)
ReplyDeletethey are my favourite!!
ReplyDeleteare you interesting to have your blog update, or a sketching drawn looks like you? I'm doing the giveway and its last chance to enter before in 7 hours, i will be revealing who is the winner :D
http://www.sachasaucysnippets.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/first-giveaway_29.html
these look amazing!! and much more healthy than my birds nest cupcakes i posted up on my blog today. happy early easter
ReplyDelete