Thursday, September 27, 2012

{recipes} Harvest Stew

I knew this concoction I came up with the other night was a winner when my husband told me I could make it as often as I like. It was an especially hearty meal with Irish Soda Brown Bread to dunk. Perfect dinner to warm you up on these chilly, Autumn evenings. 

-----
{Harvest Stew}

2 sausage links (I used chicken sausage)
3-4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large tomato, diced (can be substituted with 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes)
1 c. green beans (fresh or frozen will do)
1/2 c. black beans, rinsed and drained
2 c. beef stock (can be substituted with chicken broth)
1/8 c. spicy mustard

Combine first seven ingredients in a dutch oven. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, stir in mustard and simmer until sweet potatoes are cooked, 60-90 minutes, adding water as broth becomes absorbed. 


{enjoy!}

*for a vegetarian variation, omit sausage and substitute beef stock with vegetable broth - it's just as tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment