Thursday, April 26, 2012

Warm Barley Cereal

After last week's summer-like temperatures, I've reverted back to hibernation mode as the barometer outside is barley hitting forty degrees this morning. Aside from a few quick errands, I haven't left the house since Sunday. Instead, I've been busying myself with a couple of wintery recipes just to keep warm. Last week I was craving smoothies and ice cream and now here I am making stew, hot cocoa, and barley!

This creamy barley is a delicious way to fill your family up on some whole grains. Read all about the nutritional benefits of barley here.

I usually make this recipe a day ahead so that I can quickly reheat it in the morning for breakfast (instead of my typical bowl of oatmeal). It takes just a minute or two to throw together and while simmering on the stove, it engulfs your home with the warm aroma of cinnamon.

This recipe yields two adult size portions or three child size portions.

-----


{Warm Barley Cereal}

1 c. milk
1/2 c. barley
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. vanilla
a pinch of salt
1/4 c. raisins
1 T. half and half
1/4 c. chopped pecans

Bring milk and barley to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and raisins. Cover. Simmer for an hour or until barley is soft. Stir frequently and add water (or milk if you want it extra creamy) as the liquid becomes absorbed by the barley. Remove from heat. Stir in half & half and pecans. Sweeten with brown sugar, maple syrup or honey just before serving, if desired. Or store in the refrigerator for later use and stir in additives after reheating, stovetop.

{enjoy!}

-----

For another warm, whole grain breakfast cereal, I've also posted this recipe for Cream of Millet. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so yummy!! Living in MN- I think I may need to make this this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete