Thursday, February 28, 2013

{recipes} Sour Cream Cake with Orange Coconut Glaze

Yesterday was one of those cold & rainy days that I couldn't resist the urge to turn my oven on and bake something sweet. After flipping through the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook my mom got me for Christmas, (one of my favorite and most-used gifts, by the way) I decided on their Busy-Day Cake recipe.

I substituted some leftover sour cream for the milk that the original recipe calls for. I also added some orange juice for flavor. It turned out delicious: moist, dense, and not too sweet. It could be enjoyed on its own or with some fresh berries and whipped cream as the cookbook suggests.

However, being the sweet tooth that I am, when I stumbled upon the cookbook's Orange Glaze recipe, I just couldn't resist. And to make it even sweeter, I threw some sweetened coconut in there too! ;)

As the name Busy-Day Cake implies, this cake is extremely easy to make & requires very few ingredients, all of which you most likely already have in your kitchen. If you don't have sour cream, just use milk instead as the recipe originally reads.

-----

{Sour Cream Cake with Orange & Coconut Glaze}
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Busy-Day Cake & Orange Glaze recipes

for the cake:

1 1/3 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
2/3 c. sour cream
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 T. orange juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.

In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add sour cream, butter, egg, vanilla, and orange juice. Beat at low speed until just combined. Beat on medium speed for one minute. Batter will be thick. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.

for the glaze:

3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
1/4 c. sweetened coconut flakes

In a small pot combine sugar and orange juice. Stir over medium low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and almond extract.

Remove cake from pan. Use a pastry brush to generously spread glaze over top and sides of warm cake. Sprinkle coconut flakes over top of cake. Cool completely before serving.


{enjoy!}

No comments:

Post a Comment