Wednesday, June 6, 2012

In Praise of Stay at Home Moms


Perhaps it's her straight-forward, no nonsense approach, (or perhaps it's because we share the same name :), but I love Dr. Laura.

When I saw this book at the library, I couldn't pass it up. A book in praise of me? Okay!

Now, let me first say that it is NOT a sacrifice for me to stay home with our son. With my husband's blessing, I happily stay at home, raising our son, cooking and baking up a storm, and making our house a home. Yes, this has meant that we live without many "extras" but, we both feel it is well worth it.

In a world that is centered around having as much money as possible, this book was a great affirmation that what I do each and every day is invaluable, despite of the fact that I don't get paid, monetarily.

For women who perhaps gave up careers that they loved in order to stay home full time with their children, this book is a great pat on the back because Dr. Laura offers practical reminders of how very worthwhile that sacrifice is.

On days that are particularly long (if you're a stay at home mom you know what I mean ;) just reading a paragraph or two of this book will give you the encouragement you need to get back to your little ones with a more joy-filled attitude.

I find myself often forgoing time-sucking activities that I can live without in order to sit down on the floor and just play with my son. As much as I want to vacuum that dog hair off the carpet, the ten minutes I instead spent building a block tower or looking at books with him was much more rewarding for both of us.

Oh, and this book is also a great read for the husbands of stay at home moms because Dr. Laura establishes and encourages the traditional gender roles in a family that are so often criticized in today's society. (Although my husband didn't sit down and read the book himself, I probably read every other paragraph out loud to him so I think he got the gist of it. ;)

So, if you're a stay at home mom who could use a refreshing reminder of why you do what you do, I encourage you to check out this book.

4 comments:

  1. Another book to add to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you, adding it to my list too. I've heard such good things about Dr. Laura, but have never read a book or heard her speak. One of my friends listens to her on the radio. I really need to find her on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll never believe this...I searched online for when she's on the radio and she is on right now! Haha, have been listening ever since. Her website is really good too...lots of encouraging words for moms...I'm officially on a Dr. Laura kick now. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great blog!!! I love it!

    Would you like to follow each others blog via GFC and Bloglovin in order to keep in touch?

    Lots of love,

    www.nicoleta.me

    ReplyDelete